Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pumpkin Butter

I told y'all I'd be back with a yummy recipe today. We made pumpkin purée yesterday and today we'll be turning it into pumpkin butter. It's similar in consistency to apple butter, so it can be used as a spread (and it is delicious that way!) but one of my favorite ways to use it is to replace the oil in muffins and cakes with it. It gives them an awesome flavor. This is an easy recipe to make and it is flipping delicious if I do say so myself.

This is adapted from a recipe at Oh She Glows

I had 2 pumpkins worth of purée, so this recipe will assume you do too.

You'll need 10 cups of purée:



1/2 cup apple juice and 1/4 cup cranberry juice (I had a bit of cranberry cider from Trader Joes I wanted to try!)
2.5 cups of granulated sugar + 3 T molasses (you can use brown sugar, I just personally prefer the taste of freshly made brown sugar so I don't keep it on hand).
1/4 cup pancake syrup
3 T cinnamon
1.5 T pumpkin pie spice
1 good shake of nutmeg
1 T lemon juice
1 T almond extract (this was a happy accident, I realized halfway through that my vanilla was empty! But I am so glad, the almond definitely gives it a delicious, distinctive flavor.)



1. Mix together your sugar and molasses if you're making your own brown sugar. It will get clumpy for a minute, but I swear I'm not crazy! Keep mixing it up and it's brown sugar very quickly!

2. I simply dumped all the ingredients into a medium sized pot and got it bubbling. Mine had to simmer for about 20 minutes to reduce as much as I wanted it to. Keep your pot covered, but vented so the moisture can escape. After I took this picture, I covered the top of my pot with aluminum foil and left about an inch on either side open.

I ended up with 7 jars of pumpkin butter and I'll definitely be playing with this recipe some more.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Miranda! Thanks for stopping at my blog. I loved reading your posts here. I never knew how easy it was to make pumpkin puree, and the pumpkin butter sounds wonderful! I like the thought of the almond in it too.
    Hooray for getting baptized - it's a great public step.
    I see you're a military wife. My son is in the army, currently in the 101st airborne in KY, but spent last year in Afghanistan. Thanks to your husband and to you for his service - and yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support! I'll keep your son in my prayers, so glad he had a safe return. :) Be sure to thank him for his service too. :)

      And thanks for the kind words. I LOVE to cook but am totally new to blogging so hopefully I end up being good at it!

      Delete